Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

To Clear One's Head (TW)

I never realized this until reading my summer reading (How to Read Literature like a Professor, by Thomas C. Foster), but some people are vampires.

Foster says that a character doesn't necessarily have to literally suck people's blood to be a vampire. Some characters drain the life out of people in the metaphorical sense.

This concept of metaphorical vampirism doesn't just apply to literature.

Some people take everything away but don't give anything back. 

Last night was the umpteenth time my mom broke up with her boyfriend. They went out to dinner last night and she had planned on breaking up with him, but just couldn't. And even while she was screaming at him to get out of the house, he stayed.

I have watched her self esteem crash and burn while she has been with him for the past two/three years and I am sick and tired of him walking all over her and then the next day everything being all hunky-dory and crap.

Every day I have to think about him because that's all she talks about is work and him. And if she's not talking about him she's talking to him and I have to hear the awful, half-sobbing phone calls from behind the bedroom door.

He is a vampire.

And I fucking hate him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Be respectful.