Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Attack of the Extemp Sources (or lack thereof)

Pictured: Forensics Fox
Part of being an extemper is keeping an up-to-date file of sources. This is the worst part of being an extemper.

I love extemp. I love the panicky feelings you get during prep and I love being a teenager educating an adult about specific topics. But actually finding enough sources and doing research? Ugh. My laziness, lack of dedication, and short attention span plague me. I feel like if I had more interest in extemp, I wouldn't be so reluctant to get off my butt and research.

Reasons why I have lost interest in extemp:
  • I am the only girl and the only freshman on the school's extemp squad.
  • I'm not a debater. All of our extempers are debaters.
  • The other extempers have made no effort to communicate with me/include me in keeping the team file up-to-date. I have to do my own research and keep my own file, even though we have at least five other extempers.
  • I get very little practice time with our coach.
I'm going to a tournament on the 30th and as far as I know, I'll be the only freshman and the only girl going. Fun! It's the last tournament of the season, meaning it will be 10x harder than usual. I really want to break to finals but I'm scared that I don't have enough motivation to get off my butt and prep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Be respectful.